can not start remote kde apps w. new kde

Hi all,

when I upgraded from kde 3.1 to 3.2 both in unstable I stopped being able to
start kde apps (3.0 on RH7.3 and 3.1 on Debian unst.) remotely with ssh:

local> ssh -X me@remote
Passwd:
remote> konqueror
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display "localhost:12.0".
X Error: BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter) 5
  Major opcode:  20
  Resource id:  0x10b
Segmentation fault
remote> xpdf
remote>

konqueror, konsole, kmail and all other kde appos I have tried do not work,
but xpdf dows. The remote connection works with computers running earlier
versions of kde. When I log into a different window manager, say ion2, I can
start konqueror and konsole remotely although it still complains about GLX
missing. This even works if I execute startkde from within ion2 (n.b. if you
try this with ion2 you may want to use a small frame or else kicker is very
unhappy) and open a konsole with ssh with minicli, but not from a gdm started
kde.

I tried the following configurations:

* gdm started kde				doesn't work
* xinit started kde from .xinitrc		doesn't work
* xinit started twm (startkde from xterm) 	works fine
* xinit started ion2 (startkde)			works fine
* xinit started xterm (startkde)		doesn't work

Ssh to another user locally and starting a 3.2 kde app works fine.

Any ideas? Might this be a kwin problem?

Btw. the reason I used gdm instead of kdm is a crash on login. For some reason
kdm 3.2 cannot log into an AFS account (with AFS home) but rather crashes.
Local login is fine. But gdm shouldn't be the problem, because I also see it
when I start from the console with xinit.

Regards
Jan