Re: Proposal for adding a field in packages descriptions

On Thursday 04 March 2004 19:49, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> I think you won't be able to make it work in a useful fashion. My
> suggestion is that you randomly select 10 to 100 debian packages and
> try to determine the appropriate MIME types. That way you'll get a feel
> for how/if your idea might work in practice.
>
> Which types an application or lib is able to handle is not fixed in a
> lot of cases, in particular, where plugins or other dynamically loaded
> libs are used. Just think of Konqueror and various media players. And
> then, the MIME type by itself doesn't say what an application/lib does.
> Lacking a better example, think of MIDI files. It's a huge difference
> between an app plays back the file and another app that prints a score
> of the notes.

First of all - the idea is great in my oponion. On the other side there are
big problems to manage (see the quotation). But if you think that you can do
this or find another way to provide us with an install-on-use feature go
ahead and do this.

Cheers Wolfgang