Follow-up: kdeprint under KDE 3.2

The problems with kdeprint appear to be intermittent --- which will make
them harder to trace.

Given the setup described in a previous message (a few minutes ago) of
driving a printer attached to a Windows box, I tried restarting
networking, samba and cupsys. After restarting all three services,
kdeprint worked normally.

I have, however, had previous incidents of yesterday's experiences of
kdeprint appearing to accept a job, but then ceasing to respond. It was
necessary to issue a kill command to close kprinter. The print job
disappeared into a black hole never to be seen --- or found --- again.

My  other gripe with kdeprint --- which is in general a wonderful tool
that offers the user-oriented function that Eric Raymond recently
advocated --- is the difficulty of retaining user-specified custom
margin settings. I am obsessive about clicking the Save button after
entering them and yet I find myself re-entering every few days.