Re: KDE suddenly turns to syrup

On Sunday 22 February 2004 19:59, David Liontooth wrote:
> At some point in the last couple of days KDE has slowed down
> dramatically. The loading is stuck at "Initializing system services" for
> ages, and the icons take about a minute to appear. The harddrive is not
> churning, just sitting there waiting for something.

I struck (and still have) a similar problem about one or two months ago.

> KDE 3.1.5 with the most recent XFree 4.3.0.2 -- it might be the latter
> that's the culprit?

I was running KDE 3.1.4? at the time I think and tried to upgrade my Xserver
from 4.2 to 4.3. When I did that I got the same results you report  above. It
took about 5 to 10 minutes just to login. Also it broke my software suspend.
I switched back to xfree-4.2 after that but it has been the same ever since,
even with kde 3.1.5. Fortunately suspend works so I can boot, resume and be
working in about 20 to 30 seconds flat.

In a normal kdm login  as far as I can see its just that all the kdeinit
processes are sleeping for 5 minutes and I have no idea how to find out why.
Even when the kde login splash screen  says its finished reactivating the
session it still takes about two minutes before the first Konsole shows up.

sorry no help.
Only empathy from here
Doug