Re: k3b cdrecord

Am Samstag, 10. Januar 2004 18:41 schrieb Markus Henrich:
> I'm using woody and k3b 0.10.3. Everything in k3b is configured with the
> setup-tool. I give rights for cdrecord, usw. to a group wich I belong to.
> But when I start k3b now as a user, the error message "couldn't find
> cdrecord" appeared. Changing the rights of cdrecord to be executed by a
> user, k3b gives the message, that cdrecord only can be used with root.

k3b is broken in many ways: the setup-dialog is not case dependent and it
doesn't really provide a default setup for later runs (actually, there's no
use for it in a correctly set up system). Best example: define in k3b-setup
the cdrdao driver or the drive speeds (because they were not detected
correctly). Those values are not used when a user starts k3b :-((

Additionally, /usr/bin/cdrecord is a script in Debian. K3b does not check for
that and wants that to be setuid root. Bad idea though. The admin cannot
define globally to not show this error (in the good knowledge that it will
work). This shows, what bad assumptions will cause...

Either live with it or make the script (!) /usr/bin/cdrecord setuid root.
Maybe the debian package should be patched to have a better (test for user
being in the right group) or no test at all. That is the responsability of
the k3b-Debian-Maintainer. Maybe you should write a bug report about this.

HS

        oder über pgp.net