Re: forgot password in Kmail

On Thu 11 Dec 2003 12:28, Mauro Darida wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 at 11:20:59 +0000, Syd Alsobrook wrote:
> > On Friday 05 December 2003 05:45, Patrick Dreker wrote:
> > >
> > > Simply use ethereal or tcpdump to sniff your own password from the
> > > network. Don't forget to diable SSL/TLS before sniffing, otherwise
> > > there won't be much to see...
> >
> > ethereal and tcpdump might be a little over kill. There is a utility that
> > I really like called dsniff. It is a very cool app.
>
> dsniff is not in woody, which I use. I tried tcpdump during connection:
> #tcpdump -w istrpwd
> #strings istrpwd
> but it showed nothing similar to a password of mine.
> I can't believe the only way is a C compilation as previously suggested,
> which is a bit beyond my experience (ok, I did compile kernels, but with
> make-kpkg is a different story).
> Saluti, Mauro.

Well, I had this very same problem a while ago. The C program I sent worked
for me and it's not that difficult, so I'll spell it out for you so you can
get your mail back. Of course this is dependant on the version of kmail. I
just tested with kmail-1.5 using KDE-3.1.0 and the encoding seems to be
different. Not sure which version did work, except is was a standard Debian
version at the time. So YMMV:

Create a file, call it crackpass.c or what ever you want, with the following
code inside: (Don't include the snip or snap lines)
-------- snip --------
#include <stdio.h>

int main()
{
  char buf[100];
  int len, i;

  while (fgets (buf, sizeof(buf), stdin))
  {
    len = strlen (buf) - 1;
    for (i = 0; i < len; i++)
      putchar (287 - buf[i]);
    puts("");
  }
}
------- snap --------

To compile, enter:

gcc -o crackpass crackpass.c

This tells gcc to compile the source file crackpass.c and name the executable
crackpass. You can use different names if you wish.

To run the program, enter:

./crackpass

and the program will wait for input. Open your .kmailrc file in another shell
window using:

less .kde/share/config/kmailrc

You will probably need to streach out the window to prevent wrapping. The info
you want is on the line:

pass=<BUNCH_OF_FUNNY_CHARACTERS>

use your mouse to highlight the funny characters, then paste them into the
shell running crackpass with your middle button. If you are running the right
version of kmail, when you press enter, you will see your password decrypted.
If not, you might want to play around with the value in the source code for
putchar(287 = buf[i]); to see if you can figure it out.

I'm not sure, but my kmailrc file seems to be completely different. If this
doesn't work, I'd suggest asking on a KDE mailing list, and be sure to
include the exact version of kmail and KDE so they can tell you which
encoding is used.

Hope this helps in some way.

Cheers,

	John Gay