KDE 3.1.4 arts alsa problem

Hi all
i have a probleme after alsa 0.5 install with arts....

I have a woody with kde 3.1.4 and some backports.
After alsa installation, i choose alsa in the sound control panel...then i got
an error :

Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device: default can't be opened for playback (Unknown error)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

it's very curious...

When i was using oss all was ok with kde sounds, noatun was working....and
xmms freeze

After alsa installation and arts disabled, there is no longer kde sounds and
sound from noatun but xmms works

do i have to say goodbye to alsa and xmms?
i've installed alsa cause i though thath i could bring me more configuration
possibility than oss about mixers....

When i want to install xmmsarts in order tu use arts output plugin for xmms,
it tells me that i have to install libarts-alsa and libarts...
When i try to install libarts-alsa apt "want" to remove nearly all my kde
packages....

Someone has an idea of what is all this tricky thing ??

thx in advance