Re: What are the best windowed IRC clients, and which are apt-get'able?

Anders Ellenshøj Andersen (andersa@fys.ku.dk) wrote on 09:58:35AM 21/10/03:

> Why in Newtons name aren't you packaging kvirc3 as it is?

For two reasons, really.

First of all, KVIrc 3 is still in beta (according to the website) and has
been for a very long time, and I didn't want to package beta software for
Debian. Every now and then I took a look at it, it still appeared very
much developers-only version.

Secondly, I just don't like the way KVIrc 3 looks. Its UI is too
clunky for my tastes. I have to admit some of the UI ideas in KVIrc are
probably nice and interesting, but in its current form I just don't like
it.  Given the differences in how version 2 and 3 look and feel, I
definitely don't see any reason to retire a good working IRC client in
favour of the newer version just because it's newer. The situation is not
really comparable to upgrading from KDE 2 to KDE 3, it's more like
Winamp 2 versus Winamp 3. Some people like Winamp 3 but millions more
still use Winamp 2 because they like it, it works well and it is very stable.
The same thing applies here, IMO.

But like I said in a previous post, I already maintain a debian.robin/
directory in the KVIrc 3 source which can be used to build Debian packages
for it, so it won't be hard at all to package it. If someone can refute my
first reason then sure, I won't mind packaging KVIrc 3 for Debian. No one
seems to be interested in it though, as I've never had anybody ask me
about it before.

- Robin