Re: All KDE apps crash immediately

On Tuesday 14 October 2003 11:33, Christoph Wegscheider wrote:
> On Monday 13 October 2003 19:08, Martin Braun wrote:
> > I freshly installed debian stable/woody this weekend, nothing big
> > installed yet except for X4.1.0 and a few apps I need.
> > Next, I installed KDE (I followed the instructions on wiki.debian.org).
> >
> > But all KDE apps crash immediately. I can only see the KDE crash report
> > for a split second (I had to make a well timed screenshot to figure out
> > what it was).
> > Has anyone experienced anything similar? I haven't found anything in the
> > lists/newsgroups.
>
> I'm using testing/unstable and since an upgrade about 2 weeks ago I have
> the same Problem.
>
> If I delete the whole /tmp dir (as root rm -r .* *) the problem vanishes.
>
> It only reappears if I switch to a console while running X (with
> Ctrl-Alt-F*).
>
> 	Christoph

Ok, I finally solved the problem, it's xfstt the truetype font server. I
installed it because I wanted to use MS TTFonts, but with a recent XF86 the
xfstt service is provided through the module "freetype" and when you try to
include a fontpath to the xfstt server all kde apps crashes immediately. So
just uninstall (or stop) xfstt and everything works fine.

My first solution (rm -r .* * /tmp) works because it deletes the font server
socket under /tmp/.font-unix/ and therefore X doesn't know xfstt is there.

To use your own truetype fonts via freetype you can read this HowTo:
http://www.paulandlesley.org/linux/xfree4_tt.html

	Christoph