Re: Without Java

On Oct 16, 2003 at 08:09, Chris Cheney praised the llamas by saying:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 07:24:59AM +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:
> > I notice that the kdebase/debian/rules file has been set up to always use the
> > --without-java switch
> >
> > What exactly does this do, and is this why my konqueror always seems to fail
> > on sites that use java?
>
> I am not sure what this does, David Pashley added it to the rules file in
> rev 1.224 for some reason. Of course for you to be able to use java you
> also have to install the Sun JRE, which is not packaged officially by
> Debian due to it being non-free. However, you can download debs from the
> Blackdown website.
>
> http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdebase/debian/rules?rev=1.224&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&sortby=date
>
> Chris

If I recall correctly all it did was to hardcopy the path to java into
kdebase/konqueror. I could check again tonight but I seem to recall
there only being 3 mentions of the word java in kdebase and 3 of those
were in the configure stuff.

To get java working in KDE you need a decent JRE which is basically the
blackdown one. Debian can't distribute this, but you can find a source
from apt-get.org. The configure switch does not prevent KDE from using
java.

--
David Pashley
david@davidpashley.com