Re: Doesn't & shouldn't kde-core have a depend-require on an X system?

On Monday 13 October 2003 22:36, Hereon wrote:
> --- Malte Cornils <malte@cornils.net> wrote:
> > > [...] Neither pulled down an X server [...]
> > >
> > > Shouldn't kde-core have a depend requires on an X server?
> >
> > You can install graphical applications on systems without an X server,
> > and then login via ssh using X-Forwarding. So graphical applications are
> > useful even without a (local) X Server.
> >
> > Maybe you could have a suggests: line, but certainly not a depend...
>
> Thanks for this information.  :)
>
> I agree that is true.  But I suspect that the _vast_ majority of instances
> where kde-core will be installed will be for use on a system where the user
> will be working on that system, & hence the system   _will not work__
> without X.  Thus, I think it is a wrong design choice to make to not have
> the kde-core deb package designed such that an X server is, as you
> mentioned, at least _strongly_ suggested, if that is at all possible.
> Moreover, requiring X should be the default mode, since, IIAC (If I Am
> Correct), that indeed is the vastly most common way it will be used/needed.

Overall I would be annoyed if kde drug in X on my servers since even though I
have some kde apps installed on them that I run remotely they do not have X
since there is no need for that. Also in the future it is likely that my
desktops are going to all end up as thin clients running apps of a little
cluster which should give better reliability and speed at a lower cost.