install glitch

I followed David Pashley's FAQ in an effort to upgrade
kde in my Debian woody. It almost worked. When I
logged in, I got the usual kde start but a desktop
with no taskbar, so I could not access any programs. I
then tried apt-get install kdebase. It responded with
an error message: /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code
(1). When I rebooted, the sign-in form had changed to
something like the one under kde2. The desktop had
three icons that worked but no taskbar. Is there
anything more that I can do to save the installation?