Re: Does KDE really support XRender?

Am Sonntag, 12. Oktober 2003 13:49 schrieb Cameron Patrick:
> On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 10:05:42AM +0200, Anders Ellenshøj Andersen wrote:
> | Well I concede that this depends on what you are used to. A while back
> | I was a die hard Amigan, and from Amigas I am used to the mouse
> | pointer being a hardware sprite.
>
> XFree86 uses hardware mouse cursors on graphics hardware that supports
> it.  I can't imagine that the pointer movement would be any different to
> on other operating systems, although it is possible that I'm just not
> sensitive to the jumpiness that you describe.

What I sometimes see is a mouse cursor that cannot decide at which point it
wants to be. It jumps around by one or two pixels. While seeing this, the
mouse is not moved. Although the drawing may be done in hardware, the
positioning of the cursor is done by X. And this positioning is not fully
optimal sometimes.

> | There is too much stuff that the server really should do, that it doesn't
> | do. I welcome efforts like fresco or Y, but unfortunately the momentum
> | never seems to want to keep these projects going.
>
> Yes.  I'm particularly fond of the idea of integrating the toolkit into
> the server.  This could improve performance over a network, and more
> importantly, give apps something vaguely resembling consistency.
> (<rant>Except for Mozilla and OO.o which both insist on doing everything
> themselves regardless of what OS they're running on.  Cross-platform
> coding done the brain-damaged way.</rant>)

The rant may be correct but X and linux are not free from that either. Just
look at the mess to install a font or correct keyboard layout for console and
X. Worst case is having to configure everything at least twice.
Can it be that hard to simply say which keyboard to use for the whole system?

Did you e.g. try GTK1 with an UTF-8 locale? Well, I read that GTK1 depends too
much on X character set handling and cannot handle UTF-8 (and it really
cannot). GTK2 uses iconv and does not have this problem. So why doesn't X use
libiconv for character set handling? I guess, they wanted to do that
themselves.
You see: X already does many things itself, so don't blame other projects for
doing the same.

BTW: defoma does not really solve the font problem as it is hard to use
without any documentation. I tried to create a hints file: why does it ask me
so many questions? "ttfmkfontdir" does not ask me anything and X can work
with the resulting fonts.dir file. Additionally, defoma-hints is a totally
broken application.

> People would think it ludicrous if GTK and Qt apps had different borders
> and title bars because window management was handled on a
> per-application basis.  Handling of menus and buttons and other widgets
> needs to be abstracted out too.

There wouldn't be the need for such things if there was something else than
the ancient looking thing that X provides.

HS

        oder über pgp.net