Re: Does KDE really support XRender?

Disclaimer I am running XFree 4.3.

On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 01:08:15PM +0200, Anders Ellenshøj Andersen wrote:
> Do you think it would be do any good to file these bugreports on XFree86:
>
> 1) Pointer shakes eraticaly when moved. On other operatingsystems the
> mousepointer glides fairly seamlessly across the screen, but in XFree86 the
> pointer feels different. It kind of shakes when you move it around. It hurts
> my eyes, please fix it somehow.

This sounds like a bug specific to your system... I even switched into
the lowest resolution mode on my system "640x480" and could not
reproduce this bug.

> 2) When moving windows around a trail of window graphics always follows. It
> looks ugly. Even on my Amiga1200 I can move windows opaquely, so what's the
> problem? I mean really, how hard can it be to tell a window to move itself
> 100 pixels to left and 200 pixels down?

This appears to probably be video card dependent. I have a Radeon 9200
which is a current low end card (~ $50 USD). I can see very little
tearing even when moving windows around as fast as possible. Even that
is pretty hard to see since my eyes usually don't focus fast enough to
see the tearing.

> 3) Network transparency doesn't work on slow connections. It need's at least
> 10kbit to be usable. And a lot of apps doesn't even work over a network
> connection. Just tell it to put a button here, a drop down menu there and a
> couple of text fields whereever. How hard can that be? There is absolutely no
> reason to send 10kb pixel data over the network just to render a simple
> button.

X applications that do not work over a network sound like that aren't
written correctly. Do you happen to know of any? Also a 10kbit network
connection isn't all that much really. Any modern modem should be able
to do that.

Chris