Re: Does KDE really support XRender?

On Saturday 11 October 2003 13:08, Anders Ellenshøj Andersen shaped the
electrons to shout:
> On Saturday 11 October 2003 12:26, Ricardo Galli wrote:
> > X is not crap, don't repeat blindly the typical /.'ers complaint.
> > Instead,
>
> I am not a typical /.'er.
>
> Remember the XFree86 rules/sucks poll recently posted?
>
> I was the one who suggested it! I voted "sucks", like 43% of
> slashdotters. But 57% voted "rules". Obviously the typical /.'er must
> think X doesn't suck.

There are some active intelligent /. readers ;-)

> 1) Pointer shakes eraticaly when moved. On other operatingsystems the
> mousepointer glides fairly seamlessly across the screen, but in XFree86
> the pointer feels different. It kind of shakes when you move it around.
> It hurts my eyes, please fix it somehow.

Don't understand this problem.

> 2) When moving windows around a trail of window graphics always
> follows. It looks ugly. Even on my Amiga1200 I can move windows
> opaquely, so what's the problem? I mean really, how hard can it be to
> tell a window to move itself 100 pixels to left and 200 pixels down?

It's very simple. The server doesn't do buffering, so it cannot redraw the
windows by itself.

> 3) Network transparency doesn't work on slow connections. It need's at
> least 10kbit to be usable. And a lot of apps doesn't even work over a
> network connection. Just tell it to put a button here, a drop down menu
> there and a couple of text fields whereever. How hard can that be?
> There is absolutely no reason to send 10kb pixel data over the network
> just to render a simple button.

I read that there is some devlopment in this area... don't remember the
name.  Meanwhile try:

- http://www.realvnc.com/
- ssh forwarding with compreession

--