Re: spam problem because of this list....

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 12:39:05AM +0200, Wolfgang Mader wrote:
> This evening i have received spam. i can not imagin why but the adress it was
> send to is debian-list@brain-frog.de. this is a adress i created 2 days ago
> an i only have told to the mailinglist html interface from this three debian
> lists above.

Actually you used the address yesterday on this same mailing list,
and that is probably where the spam (or viruses) came from.

now, when you go to http://groups.google.com/ and search for your new
email address, you will notice that these lists are broadcast to
usenet and google archives, both places where spammers gather addressess.

> i would be very pleased to have a solution for this because i want to read
> this lists but i do not want to changen my complete email setup 3 times a

There is not much one can do to hide your address when sending mail
to debian lists, or any other popular list. There are lots of
packages in debian that can help filtering spam, most popular
ones being spamassassin and bogofilter.

If you control you mailserver, you might want to configure sa-exim or
a respectable blacklist, like dsbl.org.

--
Riku Voipio  	       |    riku.voipio@iki.fi         |
kirkkonummentie 33     |    +358 40 8476974          --+--