Disabling defoma?

I accidentally enabled defoma font management on one of my systems and now I'm
having some problems in apps where non Latin 1 characters such as
typographers quotes need to be displayed. Instead of getting glyphs for the
special characters in the font being used, I get the same ones no matter what
fonts are being used. It seems as though the characters have been remapped to
a bitmap font since when I zoom in, the replaced glyphs are of the same size.

I tried dpkg-reconfigure defoma but nothing happens...

Any suggestions?