Re: Sound in KDE

On 26.Jun 2003 - 16:11:49, Tomàs Núñez Lirola wrote:

> Hi
> I configured the sound card (a SiS7012) on my Debian box. When I log on my KDE
> everything seems right (I hear the music welcoming me to KDE, sounds when I
> open or close a window...), but when I try to use some non-KDE soft, it does
> not works. I mean, I can hear music with noatun, but I can't with XMMS, and I
> can't with mpg123, because they say they can't open sound device:
>
> host~$ mpg123 mysoundfile.mp3
> High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layer 1, 2 and 3.
> Version 0.59r (1999/Jun/15). Written and copyrights by Michael Hipp.
> Uses code from various people. See 'README' for more!
> THIS SOFTWARE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
> Can't open default sound device!
> host~$
>
> Can anybody tell me what's wrong or tell me where to look?
> Thank you very much

Your KDE starts the Soundserver artsd, which occupies the sound device.
Simple solution is to start mpg123 with
artsdsp mpg123

Then there is a xmmsarts Plugin, which gives you another choice in the
Preferences Dialog in XMMS. And for other GUI-Sound-Apps you can set
an option in the KDE-ControlCenter under sound-System.

Andreas

--
You own a dog, but you can only feed a cat.