Re: kscd fails as normal user, works through kdesu -c

On Wednesday 25 June 2003 23:13, Josh Metzler wrote:
> I can play cd's using kscd as root (by doing kdesu -c kscd).
>
> When I use the icon on the K-menu, kscd appears in the taskbar, then
> disappears quickly.  The window never appears.  When I try running it from
> konsole, I get the following errors:
>
> josh@Shuttle:~$ kscd
> kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated action.
> kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated action.
> kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated action.
> kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated action.
> kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated action.
> kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated action.
> kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated action.
> kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated action.
> kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated action.
> kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated action.
> kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated action.
> kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated action.
> kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated action.
> kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated action.
> kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated action.
> josh@Shuttle:~$ CDTEXT INFO: use GET_FEATURE_LIST(0x46)...
> CDTEXT INFO: try to read, how long CDTEXT is?
> CDTEXT INFO: CDTEXT is a 7 byte(s) long
> CDTEXT INFO: try to read CDTEXT
> CDTEXT INFO: read 7 byte(s) of CDTEXT
> CDTEXT INFO: free_cdtext_info() called
> CDTEXT ERROR: invalid packet at 0x00000000: 0x 00 00 00 08 5F 00 55 00 53 00
> 08 08 11 00 00 00 D8 CF
>
> At this point nothing else happens - there is no kscd window, no CD activity,
> and no sound.  There is brief CD activity around the time of CDTEXT INFO: ...
> Hitting Enter gets me a prompt back, but I must manually kill the kscd
> process, even though it appears to be doing nothing.

If've had a similar problem last night when I used kscd after a long time
again (but did not try kscd as root).

I had to create /usr/share/apps/kscd/cddb by hand because kscd refused to
start without it.  Then kscd crashed until I disalbed remote freedb in
the kscdrc config file.

Later I could enable remote freedb again and got a crash when I inserted
a CD never played with kscd before while kscd was running.  Restarting kscd
worked this time.  Very strange. I had no time yet to figure out when/what
why something goes wrong.

Achim