Re: Non-KDE apps can't play sounds

Could it be that arts can share the sound card on your other system because
your sound card driver supports multi-open, but the one on this system
doesn't?

I don't think that explains why it DID work but doesn't now though.  Also, you
could set arts to suspend after a set period of inactivity so that other apps
can get a chance to play their sounds (just not at once..) - I think that
suspend means close /dev/dsp....  You can configure this from Control Center
-> Multimedia&Sound -> Sound server.

David