kprinter error when using cups

Hi,
I have observed a strange error with kdeprint 3.1.2 when used with cups. I can
install a printer using the kprinter dialogs and the test page prints fine,
but when the printer is finally installed, then:

- it prints postscript code from applications

- the printer options (supported resolutions etc.) which are usually read from
the driver file are wrong

- trying to reconfigure the printer gives this error message:  Unable to load
a valid driver for printer ESC740. Error message received from manager:
Internal error (no error message).

- trying to obtain a ipp report in the kde print manager  gives me this error
message: Unable to retrieve printer information. Error received:
Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly
installed and running.

- kprinter can't build a driverdatabase.

However, when I use the webfrontend that comes with cups or print from
openoffice via cupsys-bsd it works all fine. So the temporary solution I came
up with was to set the kde printing manager to use the LPR system, where it
recognises the printer like openoffice via cupsys-bsd emulation.

Lateron, after playing with kprinter for a while I reentered (same paths as
before) all paths in the Printing Manager -> Configure server -> Directories
dialog, which seemed to have cure it. But kprinter still doesn't build a
driverdatabase.

Hope that helps to find this bug. This bug appeared using sid/kde3.1.2 and
even after I reinstalled cupsys/kdeprint including a purge in between.

regards,
Marc