KDE 3.1.2 locks system.

Ever since the apt-get upgrade that installed KDE 3.1.2, I have had my system
locking up.  Mouse pointer moves around the screen, but the cursor image
remains the same and the mouse doesn't click on anything.  Keyboard is
unresponsive, and the num lock key does not toggle num-lock on or off.  I
can't seem to figure out the conditions that cause it quite yet, so I can't
say how to reproduce it.  Has anyone had this happen to them also?