Re: arm linking problems keeping KDE 3 out of testing

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 04:00:06PM +0200, Dominique Devriese wrote:

> Hi,
> I've been trying to figure out why KDE 3 is still not in the main
> testing repository yet, and I think I've kinda nailed it down.
>
> The reason, according to the update_excuses.html [1], is that it is
> "out of date on arm".  This is caused by it failing to compile on the
> arm buildd's..
> I've then checked the buildd logs for kdelibs on arm [2], and it seems
> that the problem is this:
-snip-
> So the problem is that libXinerama is not available as a dynamic
> library, ( which I've checked and is indeed not the case, and I think
> I've read somewhere that there was a good reason for this ( Daniel ? )
> ).   For some reason ( which I don't really understand ), the arm
> linker then decides to only make a static lib of kdecore ( and kdeui
> as well ).  This causes problems further down the kdelibs compile.
>
> So, what I'm basically asking, is whether someone is looking at this,
> or has any idea on a way to solve this ?  This problem is keeping back
> KDE 4 from testing, and I personally think it's about time that KDE 3
> enters testing..

Yep, I am working on it, James Troup thought it was related to the fact
that libtool didn't have an entry for arm in its m4 file, but if it is
only the Xinerama issue then it will be fixed fairly easily. I had hoped
XFree86 4.3 would already be in sid by now which would have resolved the
issue automatically, but since it isn't I will patch up the build
scripts to link against foo_pic (there are other problems than just arm
wrt pic libs).

Chris