Re: How to paste Chinese text from Emacs to other X apps in KDE3

On Tuesday 06 May 2003 11:31, Yang Shouxun wrote:
> Dear debian users,
>
> I used to be able to paste Chinese texts from Emacs to other X apps until
> upgrading to KDE3 last year via setting "set-selection-coding-system" to
> "chinese-iso-8bit-with-esc".
>
> I get western characters (ASCII >127) rather than correct Chinese
> characters when copying Chinese text in Emacs (actually Emacs21) in KDE3.1.

Thanks for the replies.

After more experimenting, I found a solution to the problem.

1. set the locale-gen to contain "zh_CN.UTF-8"
2. set "export LC_ALL=zh_CN.UTF-8" in ~/.bashrc
3. to copy Chinese from Emacs to Klipper, evaluate
"(set-selection-coding-system 'utf-8)"
4. to copy Chinese from KDE apps to emacs, evaluate
"(set-selection-coding-system 'chinese-iso-8bit-with-esc"

This is really perplexing and tedious that one has to change the
"selection-coding-system" variable in Emacs in order to copy to KDE apps and
vice versa.

Maybe there is a better approach.