Report: Upgrade Of Woody 3.1 to 3.1.1a

I finally bit the bullet this weekend and upgraded my i386 Woody KDE 3.1
(Ralf's debs) to KDE 3.1.1a from download.kde.org.  FWIW, here is a
summary of how it went :

(My KDE setup is fairly minimal - just base packages, Koffice, Quanta &
Kdevelop, multimedia, and 3 of the games.)

"apt-get -s upgrade" reported :
   The following packages have been kept back
     kdemultimedia
   71 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove
   and 1  not upgraded.

I predownloaded the debs using "apt-get --download-only upgrade".   This
took around 4 hours over a 56k modem.

"apt-get upgrade" then ran fairly smoothly, with manual intervention
required to solve minor hiccups related to kdepim and kdemultimedia.

The kdepim problem:

   Preparing to replace kdepim-libs 4:3.1.0-0woody2 (using
   .../kdepim-libs_4%3a3.1.1-0woody1_i386.deb) ...
   Unpacking replacement kdepim-libs ...
   dpkg: error processing
   /var/cache/apt/archives/kdepim-libs_4%3a3.1.1-0woody1_i386.deb
   (--unpack):
    trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libkcal.so.2.0.0',
    which is also in package libkcal2

I solved this by removing libkcal2, which required me to also remove
kdepim-libs and kaddressbook which depended on it.
[  apt-get remove libkcal2 kaddressbook kdepim-libs  ]

I then resumed apt-get upgrade, which continued until :

   Preparing to replace mpeglib 4:3.1.0-0woody2 (using
   .../mpeglib_4%3a3.1.1-0woody1_i386.deb) ...
   Unpacking replacement mpeglib ...
   dpkg: error processing
   /var/cache/apt/archives/mpeglib_4%3a3.1.1-0woody1_i386.deb
   (--unpack):
    trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/yaf-cdda',
    which is also in package yaf

I solved this by removing yaf, which required me to also remove the
dependent kdemultimedia, and then consequently libarts1-mpeglib.
[  apt-get remove yaf kdemultimedia libarts1-mpeglib  ]

I resumed apt-get upgrade again, and it ran through to completion.

To finish off, I manually reinstalled kdepim-libs and kaddressbook
(libkcal2 no longer has an installation candidate, so I assume it's
been obsoleted), and kdemultimedia, which dragged in
kdemultimedia-kio-plugins and libarts1-mpeglib (yaf no longer has an
installation candidate ... ditto).

However, installation of kdemultimedia-kio-plugins failed with :

   Unpacking kdemultimedia-kio-plugins (from
    .../kdemultimedia-kio-plugins_4%3a3.1.1-0woody1_i386.deb) ...
   dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/kdemultimedia-kio-plugins_4%3a3.1.1-0woody1_i386.deb
   (--unpack):
    trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/kde3/kcm_audiocd.la',
    which is also in package kio-audiocd

I solved this by removing kio-audiocd, which meant I had to remove the
dependent kdemultimedia.
[  apt-get remove kio-audiocd kdemultimedia  ]
... and then re-installing kdemultimedia, which dragged in
kdemultimedia-kio-plugins.

All done - everything seems extra-nice - more polished :)
Possibly a little "quicker".
NB: the splash screen still says "KDE 3.1"  ..

My only problems so far are :

1)  the multiple-sessions feature (from the "Start A New Session" button
at a locked console) doesn't work for me - the KDM login dialog for the
new session never quite renders properly, and while I'm trying to login
it just gives up after a minute or so of bizarre behaviour, and returns
me to my first session's password prompt.  This is with 256 Mb of RAM
and a 16Mb PCI Voodoo 3 display adapter - is that enough juice ?

2)  Quanta (V3.1.1) seems to have some interface bugs (screwy
behaviour).

No crippled kdm or font problems for me.
I had originally installed the KDE 3.1 as an upgrade to the KDE 2.2.2 in
Woody.

Thanks very much to the packagers.

Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK