KDE hangs on startup

I'm using KDE 2.2 on Debian Woody 3.0r1. When I run KDE, the system freezes when the keyboard-mouse icon in the initialization window starts flashing. I discovered that when I switch to one of the virtual terminals and let KDE load, the system doesn't crash; however, this is not a very practical solution. May I also note that as a rule of thumb, when I am waiting in one of the virtual winodws, I can be certain KDE will not crash after there appears a message that my Ensoniq sound card driver has been loaded. This looks somewhat like:

ens1371.........