Re: Need help with sound in 3.1

On Friday 07 February 2003 10:06 am, cwhmlist@bellsouth.net wrote:
> I am having some sound problems with kde 3.1.  When I try to play some
> mp3's using xmms, xmms complains that it couldn't open the audio.  Also,
> when I try to play movies (dvd or divx) using mplayer, I also get no sound.
>  However kaboodle will play the same divx movies find with sound.
>
> Would someone please let me know what I need to change in kde to allow
> these programs to have sound.

	You don't _necessarily_ need to change anything in KDE; the problem is that
KDE's sound server, arts, is hogging /dev/dsp. Solution 1: for XMMS, use the
xmms-arts plugin available at http://www.xmms.org/plugins_output.html; to
enable it, go to Preferences -> Audio I/O Plugins and for the "Output Plugin"
select "aRts Driver" once you have installed it. For mplayer, in
~/.mplayer/config, write '-ao arts'. Note that I think you may need to
specifically mplayer for arts support, but it's been a while since I've
compiled mplayer.
	Solution 2: if that sounds like too much work, go to Control Panel -> Sound
-> Sound System and change the value for "Autosuspend if idle for:" value to
something smaller, like 10 seconds. Note that the problem with this solution
is that any KDE sound event will be stalled until after XMMS or mplayer
quits. So if you're listening to some music but have set up KMail to beep
whenever you have new mail, you won't get any notification until you close
XMMS. In my opinion it's better to make XMMS and mplayer play nice with arts,
rather than the other way around.
	:Peter

--
Oh what a tangled web they weave who try a new word to conceive!