Re: konqueror crashes when quitting

On Thursday 06 February 2003 01:43, Hendrik Sattler wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 6. Februar 2003 00:42 schrieb bb:
> > the information has to be stored somewhere, so why not in the .kde/
> > -folder?
>
> Why would I store important user data like the default address book,
> bookmarks and all that in a hidden directory where the user has to search
> very hard if the structure philosophy is unknown?

I'd say because it simply shouldn't be necessary for the user to search things
like his adressbook on the filesystem level, whereas...

> I wouldn't. You wouldn't come up with the idea of storing all your emails
> there, either, would you?
> But against everyhting, the _Desktop_ has to be toplevel and not hidden.
> Makes absolutely no sense.

...the Desktop is often used as a place to store files, which makes a clearly
visible integration into the filesystem necessary. Just think of someone
having important documents or folders containing documents or whatever
logical category like "My Music Files" on his desktop.
Don't get me wrong, it's not that I've ever worked that way (and that's why my
desktop folder resides in ~/.kde/Desktop), but many people do, and that's why
a plain mapping from the desktop to it's representation on the filesystem
makes sense whereas having something as ~/Adressbook doesn't, simply because
there's no really sensible action you can perform on adressbook entries on
the filesystem level.

Cheers,
Yven

--