Delay on KDM startup fixed. Was Re: delay on KDM startup and KDE startup (3.1)

Oswald and all,

My delay on SID (KL debs) KDM startup has been fixed and is now ~11
seconds which is the same as I see on my Woody partition (RN Debs).

I don't run xft so I thought Oswald's comment wasn't relevant.  However
for the last couple of weeks my Phoenix session was not running TrueType
fonts which I prefer (verdana).  Tracking down the problem (KDE apps
were seeing TrueType), I added the Truetype directory to XF86Config-4
(this didn't do anything as I AM running xfs).  I then added Truetype
(/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Truetype) to the catalogue = parameter  in
/etc/X11/fs/config

This fixed truetype fonts  in Phoenix and ALSO fixed the KDM startup
time.

My fonts in kdmrc are  Helvetica, Times Roman and Charter - I think
times roman is the Truetype font.  Presumably kdm init (greet) was
looking for a defined font that wasn't available.

Michael

Michael Hoodes         http://www.hoodes.com            Seattle, WA