Re: KDE and root login

From: "Paul Johnson" <baloo@ursine.ca>

> On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 12:40:47PM -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > It isn't, though it is a FAQ, but if it's so important that you need to be
> > warned with caps and exclamations, why does KDM let you login to KDE as
root?

> KDM doesn't by default.  Look at the insecurity of Windows if you need
> a reason not to use root when you don't need it.

It sure did on my system.  I've been using KDM with just dist-upgrades for 4
years or more, and I've always had an option for Root to logon.  Now it's
possible, since my very first version of KDM was Corel, that they set up the
config that way and I've just never let it get corrected during upgrades.

Still, knowing that you shouldn't use root when you don't need it, and never
logging on to KDE as root, are entirely different things.