Display roughness

I've installed KDE 3.1.4 from unstable on a testing machine according to the
instructions from the Debian KDE Wiki.  Everything seems to work fine except
that everything in KDE is displayed somewhat jaggedly.  I first thought it
was the just the fonts, but the icons also seem affected.  In kdm before
login everything seems smooth.  It doesn't seem to be display resolution
dependent as it occurs at 1024x768 as well as at 1152x864.  I thought it
might be a hardwere problem, but Knoppix looks fine on this machine.

Thanks,

Chris