Re: true type fonts fixed...

Hi,

Thought you may be interested.
I managed to get all the installed tt fonts visible by manually
deleting font.* files, then:

# mkfontscale
# mkfontdir

in the appropriate dirs, followed by:

# fc-cache -fv

...now using XF86-4.3 with the freetype module (still sid, was 4.2.1
with v3.3.6 Xservers and xfstt|xfs-xtt font servers).

I have tt fonts either duplicated or linked in both
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts and /usr/share/fonts... fc-cache is only
generating fonts.cache-1 files under /usr/X11R6.

fontconfig is seeing multiple versions of some fonts; x3 in the case
of the larabie fonts, x2 was expected.  :-/  Guess I can now
reconfigure fontconfig to ignore /usr/share/fonts, eh.

I noticed that some of the fonts.dir files were 2-bytes long, which
is the result if there is no fonts.scale file when mkfontdir is run
in a dir with scaleable fonts.  Not sure if this is a result of my
fiddling or an installation doing stuff in the wrong order.

So, the problems for me appear to have been a result of mkfontscale
not being run, or not being run before mkfontdir, and /usr/share/fonts
being ignored (even though fc-cache appeared to be processing it)...
exacerbated by me not really knowing what was/should be going on.

I'm tempted to dpkg-reconfigure back to a v3.3.6 xserver, reinstall a
tt font server or two, and see if I can get all fonts working (now
that I have somewhat close to half a clue).

- Bruce