Re: installing KDE 3

Hi,

I'll have a go :)

> I was too optimistic.
> I have some problems with Debian 3 and KDE 3, which I downloaded recently
> (without doing anything about Qt3, since that seems beyond my scope and I
> am not sure it is necessary)

You obviously do have Qt 3.x installed, otherwise NOTHING would work. Qt3 is
the toolkit upon which KDE is based.
1 + 2 : Pass

> 3) I cannot set kppp going.  I get the message: "kppp
> cannot open modem".  I tried the help instruction  "# chown root:root
> $KDEDIR/bin/kppp" but there is no file /bin/kppp

OK - now this one I *can* help with. It says $KDEDIR/bin/kppp - you can't find
it because KDEDIR isn't set.

Anyway, that isn't the best way to solve your problem. Look at the device
which represents your modem: for me, ttyS0 (com1):

crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  64 Mar 14  2002 /dev/ttyS0

You see the permissions only allow read or write from either root (its owner)
or members of the group dialout.

Therefore, you need to add yourself to the dialout group.

usermod -G <any other groups you are a member of>,dialout <your username>
Log out then in again, and you should now be able to open the modem device.

> 4) I can get online with wvdial. I tried then to set an email account in
> Opera. All settings, preferences are apparently correct, I can read
> webpages in Opera, but neither get or send e-mails. Preferences tell me:
> "POP
> disconnected, SMTP disconnected". No way to change that, up to now

Need to know more about this. Are your routing/DNS settings correct?

Can you browse the web using Konqueror?

Hope some of that helps,

Regards,

David