old locale and font problems coming back?

Hi,

first, the font handling got really messy, probably because of fontconfig. Is
there any way to get the
old-behaviour-before-the-package-fontconfig-was-installed back? This is like
only being able to select the font name but not the font family. However,
this results in totally messy behaviour. "fixed[misc]" with ISO-8859-15 was
looking great on konsole and simply worked. "fixed" is now only half-defined
and mc does not work with it at all: totally messed up display. This means
that current font handling is totally broken :-((

Second, the dialogs changed somewhat. I cannot choose the charset anymore.
What a crap. Konsole is now missing the '€' symbol, displaying the currency
sign instead (->ISO-8859-1) but other programs like the editors and kmail
make correct use of the charset and display the euro sign (->ISO-8859-15).
This may be related to the first problem.

Anything I can do about it (using a mix of testing and sid)?

Thnx

HS

        oder über pgp.net