Re: qt-copy/debian

On Samstag, 17. Mai 2003 01:59, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 08:50:58AM +1000, Ben Burton wrote:
> > So it seems we're giving up completely on the idea of some sane system
> > for having debian install the compatibility Qt headers by default just
> > like *every* other Qt installation?
> >
> > I realise I brought this up several times some months ago, and it did
> > seem IIRC that it was generally agreed upon that it was a Good Thing to
> > have debian users get the same set of compatibility headers that
> > everyone else gets, and that the debian package management system was
> > *not* meant to be abused to punish users into hassling developers to
> > write non-legacy code.
> >
> > I was quieted by the fact that Ralf explained the dependencies would be
> > patched in Qt 3.1.2, and that the appropriate patches were sitting in
> > CVS in qt-copy/debian.
> >
> > It seems that not only were these patches never uploaded to sid in the
> > meantime, but now they've actually been removed from CVS altogether.
>
> I have to say that I agree 100% with Ben on this one. In ye olde
> Utopiane worlde, we'd be able to deprecate headers and draw the line in
> the sane, but we can't. It's not our call, it's upstream's call, and we
> shouldn't be placing further arbitrary restrictions.

I've talked with Martin yesterday and he updated all his changes into
qt-copy/debian that he had so far. I updated one of the patches needed for Qt
3.2 already.

About those stupid headers - is Recommends enough to make everyone stop
nagging ? In the meanwhile unstable is in a state where the maintainers know
where to use compat-headers and where they don't have to (which is what was
desired).

Ralf

> -d

Ralf Nolden