Re: Report: Upgrade Of Woody 3.1 to 3.1.1a

On Mon, 05 May 2003 21:35:33 +0200, Ralf Nolden wrote:

>On Montag, 5. Mai 2003 20:29, Nick Boyce wrote:
>>
>> My only problems so far are :
>>
>> 1)  the multiple-sessions feature (from the "Start A New Session" button
>> at a locked console) doesn't work for me - the KDM login dialog for the
>> new session never quite renders properly, and while I'm trying to login
>> it just gives up after a minute or so of bizarre behaviour, and returns
>> me to my first session's password prompt.  This is with 256 Mb of RAM
>> and a 16Mb PCI Voodoo 3 display adapter - is that enough juice ?
>
>It depends on the graphics driver. Most cards handle that feature very well,
>others don't (who generally have problems is you start a second X server
>manually also)

My driver is the 3Dfx Voodoo 3 driver in the Xfree86 4.1.0 that comes
with Woody (using 2.4.18 kernel) - do you know whether one of the
later (4.2.x | 4.3.x) unofficial Xfrees for Woody would be a
significantly better bet ?

>> 2)  Quanta (V3.1.1) seems to have some interface bugs (screwy
>> behaviour).
>Quanta always comes up quite slow in its UI compared to other apps - probably
>some old code that blocks most of its ui during startup and where the
>programmers have to work on.

One problem I notice is that the main Quanta editing pane sometimes
gets stuck in "preview" (embedded KHTML I guess) mode, no matter what
I do with the preview toggle button on the toolbar.  I have to restart
Quanta to get back to HTML source code view.

I've just installed Gnome's BlueFish to compare, and it certainly
seems quite a bit faster (and the built-in HTML/SSI/PHP online
reference is nice), but I prefer Quanta's looknfeel.

Cheers

Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK