kpackage errors in kde 3.1.1 under woody stable

hello,
after upgrading from kde 3.0.2 to kde 3.1.1 my kpackage does not work
properly. If am root it does not install anything (I get exec:not found, I
suspect for some reason it cannot find the path to dpkg). If I am normal user
it does install (after prompting the root password) but making huge windows
which get outside the monitor screen. In any case (root or user) I cannot mark
any package.
It worked flawlessy under kde 3.0.2...Any clue ?
--
saluti Mauro

On this machine no Windows system survives and LINUX POWER reigns UNLIMITED.