Re: xfonts-konsole issues

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 07:30:51PM +0200, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > Regardless of the above issues this shouldn't be the reason people are
> > having font problems with KDE since Qt no longer uses the standard Xfree
> > method for locating fonts. According to puetzk the reason we see font
> > substitions happening is because Qt lists fonts that Xfree can see but
> > can't actually use them. If I remember correctly the fix is in Qt 3.1.2
> > and is to not list fonts from Xfree at all.
>
> Qt 3.1.2 isn't in unstable :-) and it will take a while since the problem is
> related to glibc IIRC what madkiss said why he couldn't upload it yet. Qt 3.2
> will come out as a beta this week but that won't help too much I guess.

Yes, I know, the point was that Qt doesn't use XFree's fonts now but
instead substitutes fonts in place of the one you think you are
choosing. The fact that XFree doesn't know about the font, by not being
in its /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc and in fonts.dir file, doesn't
matter to KDE since Qt doesn't actually use them for anything other than
the actual list of fonts anyway. Of course by registering the console
fonts with Xfree other non-Qt and non-fontconfig apps will be able to
use them as well, which is a good thing.

Chris