Re: compiling KDE apps

Frank Van Damme wrote:
Hi list,

Every now and then I meet a good app that isn't in Debian (sid) and compile it myself. It doesn't always seem so simple wth kde apps however. I tried to compile kopete; Compiling goes fine but when I run the program (from the source dir,) the prompt comes back immediately, and there's no kopete window. This is in my proces list:

yalu 621 0.0 5.9 25248 15300 ? S 12:04 0:00 kopete -session 117f000001000

When I run from /usr/local/stow/kopete, where I installed it, this is what I get:

kopete: KopeteEmoticons::initEmoticons : WARNING: emoticon-map not found

It didn't seem to want to be installed anywhere other than /usr.  I ended up
taring up an install of it and running alien.  I guess either kde or kopete
doesn't know enough to look in both /usr and /usr/local for shared files. (like
perl, python, emacs, tex, etc.)

Keep your eye on kopete. I like the idea of a dockable IM application, but I've
had nothing but bad luck with it.  It has, on many occasions, eaten all of my
disk space (with a 800+MB .xsession-errors file) and eaten all my memory.  In
the end, I gave up and went back to gaim.

Steve Dunham
dunham@cse.msu.edu
http://www.cse.msu.edu/~dunham