kde3 problems

I have just upgraded to kde3 and have a few problems, although it worked
OK until I rebooted:

1. My track ball died, which also prevented keyboard operation.
Installing a mouse in place of the trackball restored normal function.
Was this a coincidental failure or did KDE3 cause it?

2. gdm can not see the KDE link in gdm/Sessions. I have to use the
Debian logon choice to load KDE. What do I have to change to make gdm
see the KDE link?

3. I have lost my KDE task bar. What do I edit to restore it?

Thanks for any help

John Batistic...