Re: libqt3 3.1.2 breaking kicker

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:37:16 +0100
Ralf Nolden <nolden@kde.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 25 March 2003 12:07, Stephan Hachinger wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I've just experienced something quite weird trying to upgrade my
> > Debian woody system to kde 3.1.1. After libqt3 3.1.2 had been
> > installed, kicker 3.1.1 always crashed about 1/2 second after the
> > mouse cursor was placed over it (no clicks!). I then installed
> > the old kde 3.1.0 kicker, but this didn't change the behaviour;
> > only a downgrade to libqt3 3.1.1 finally fixed the problem. I
> > tried to compile libqt3 3.1.2 myself, but installing the
> > self-compiled binaries also made kicker (version 3.1.0) crash...
> > Does anyone know what could cause this behaviour? KDE 3.1.1 seems
> > to run completely without problems on the woody system of a
> > friend of mine.
>
> try running kicker from a konsole and attach gdb to it so we get
> some useful output. You also don't mention which debian version you
> use and where you got the packages from. Also try to run KDE with a
> fresh, new created user account.

I'm using debian woody 3.0 (stable) with all security updates (there
are also about 10 recompiled packages from unstable on my system, but
I cannot think of any which could be relevant to the isssue - I
mainly installed them to satisfy build dependencies, e.g. for libqt3,
but they are no such important ones like libc6 ;)) ; the kde and qt
packages are from download.kde.org (the sources of the self-compiled
libqt3 I tried out later were also from download.kde.org).

I've already tried to run kicker from a konsole with .kde moved out
of the way to ensure that the error is not caused by corrupted config
files, but this didn't change anything... The problem seems to apply
to kicker 3.1.1 and 3.1.0, and seems to be triggered by libqt
3.1.2... if I install libqt3 3.1.2 the problem is there; if I replace
it by 3.1.1, it's gone.

Can you please give me a short description about how to do this with
gdb, because I've got no real knowledge of programming. Gdb is
installed but I don't know how to use it :(. Doesn't there have to be
debug information in my kicker binary for this or so?

Cheers,

Sephan