Kmail crypto-plugin

I use KDE 3.1 from ~/ktown.kde.org/~nolden/. I did apt-get upgrade and
most? of KDE 3.1 was upgraded. Kmail  used to be able to confirm gpg keys
automagically, I have/had gnupg installed, configured & working. Now I
get a message :

"Message was signed with unknown key.
The validity of the signature cannot be verified.
Problem: OpenPGP plug-in was not specified."

Something has changed in how Kmail handles signed emails. The help page
for Kmail shows th folowing when queried about OpenPGP plugin.

Installing Ägypten
First, get the following packages:

libgcrypt (>= 1.1.10)
libksba (>= 0.4.6)
newpg (>= 0.9.4)
gpgme 0.3.x (>= 0.3.15; <= 0.4.0)
cryptplug 0.3.x (>= 0.3.15)
pinentry (>= 0.6.8)

Two questions,
1.Do users of Kamil have to use Ägypten?
2. The following packages seem to be missing from Debian or Ktown
archives. gpgme => 0.3x, newpg=> 0.9.4
--
Greg Madden