Re: Ralf's KDE and XFree 4.2 on Woody

Am Donnerstag, 20. Februar 2003 04:48 schrieb Alexander Antoniades:
> I know Ralf said not to run any other versions of Xfree86, but I wanted to
> try out James Strandboge's new backport of Gnome 2.2, which requires Xfree
> 4.2.

Huh, I must have missed that one. Where did he say this?

> I know Bunk's versions have caused problems, has anyone tried XFree 4.2
> from: deb http://people.debian.org/~blade/woody/i386 ./
> ?

I'm not sure. I talked to various ppl on #debian-devel and #kde-devel and
there was some doubt that the xserver could crash single applications. It
would work or it would not work, and not anything between.
The problem with the source line of Adrian Bunk is that his libvorbis packages
don't work with kde (which is not his or Ralf Noldens fault!).
So if you need xfree 4.2 then you can install the packages from Adrian, but
leave out the libvorbis packages.
I have this working here on my desktop without any problems. And now my laptop
also works great.

Cheers

	Michael