Serifed ttf fonts in KDE3.1 (Sid)

I'm amazed that nobody else has mentioned this.  I have two different
computers running up to date KDE 3.1 from Sid and both exhibit identical
symptoms even though they are configured quite differently.

Select Fonts in KDE Control Center and then chose any item, Desktop, for
example.  Select a serifed truetype font, such as Times New Roman.  The
font shows up unserifed, like maybe Arial.  Some other serifed fonts,
such as Times, display correctly.  If I turn off anti-aliasing all the
fonts show up correctly, but the ttf's are so ugly as to be unusable.

Both gfontview and xfontsel show the offending fonts correctly.

One of my machines is using xfs and the other has only X's built-in font
server (i.e., # FontPath      "unix/:7100" is commented out in
XF86Config-4 and ps shows no xfs process).  On the other machine xfs is
running and referenced at the top of XF86Config-4.  I have tried many
variations in XF86Config-4 and /etc/X11/Xftconfig and /etc/X11/fs/config
and been careful to restart X and/or xfs each time.

Advice, anybody?

--
Michael Epting (epting@ix.netcom.com)