Antialiasing in 3.1

i've been trying to figure out how to make antialiasing work on my debian woody (xfree 4.2.1 + kde 3.1 + qt 3.1.1).

everything seems to be in order, i've got other X apps antialiased, even kdm is aa'ed! yet the desktop refuses to comply...

only glitch is when i try to access kde's font manager, it tells me 'file does not exist and the directory is not writeable' (or something to that effect - i'm using a localized version). then it let's me through and the fonts in the preview window are again aa'ed just fine.

anybody's got an idea what i'm doing wrong?