Styles not working

This is a bit like the other thread about screensavers where only Blank
Screen and Random appear in the menu.

Basically, my control centre-> appearance & themes -> style
only shows me:
CDE, Compact, Motif, MotifPlus, Platinum,SGI,Windows

I know from my other Debian machine that there should be a good few more
than that. On top of this (and this is the thing that is driving me
nuts), I cannot install any new themes :-(

They install ok, but they don't appear in the styles list for me to
activate. Window decorations relating to styles seem to work fine, its
just the window styling bits. I'd really like to get this working as I
think Acqua looks awesome and I'd love to have more than just the title
bar.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,
Andy