Re: Woody/KDE3.1RC7 debs : Screensavers Report

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 05:46:01 +0100, Ralf Nolden wrote:

>On Freitag, 24. Januar 2003 04:23, Nick Boyce wrote:
>> I just installed a fresh vanilla Woody i386 box at work over the last
>> two days, with just the base Xfree 4.1.0 and then Ralf's current
>> 3.1RC7 debs, and wanted to file this quick report.
>>
>> Basically the system seems fine and KDE seems duly wonderful (my first
>> sight of anything beyond 2.2.2 :).  The only issue of any kind I've
>> yet noticed is that the screensaver collection seems in some disarray.
>>
>> Approx 160 screensavers (!) are listed in the control panel - most
>> appear to do nothing (preview is blank, the "Setup" button just gives
>> "No configuration available for xxx", and "Test" does nothing).
>>
>> There are some apparent duplicates :
>
>That's probably because you installed xscreensaver, not xscreensaver-nognome

Well thanks for the suggestion, but I checked and I don't have either
of those packages installed.  I've attached a zipped up copy of the
entire list for this machine.  It doesn't have much installed: just a
base Woody, kde, koffice, kdevelop, quanta - and for Xfree 4.1.0 I
only really installed the base packages.

>> [I only have a generic ATI xserver installed so I guess that's why the
>> pretty GL screensavers are slow - does anyone know which xserver is
>> good for giving OpenGL with an ATI Rage Pro ?]

I tried switching to the Mach64 Xserver from Xfree 3.3.6, which I
thought might make the GL screensavers all work better but instead
even those which had worked slowly ceased to work at all.

I found this comment at http://www.xfree86.org/4.1.0/DRI10.html, which
I suppose may explain the slow GL savers :

=======================< cut >========================
10.4. ATI Rage 128

10.4.3. Performance and Features
While PCI Rage 128 based cards are supported, they do not yet support
PCI GART, so they will not perform as well as their AGP counterparts.

For AGP cards, the AGP mode may be set to 1, 2, or 4. One is used by
default. Higher AGP speeds may result in unreliable performance
depending on your motherboard.

Note that even at 32bpp there is no alpha channel.

The following OpenGL features are implemented in software and will be
slow:

Stencil buffer and accumulation buffer operations
Blend subtract, min/max and logic op blend modes
GL_SEPARATE_SPECULAR_COLOR lighting mode
glDrawBuffer(GL_FRONT_AND_BACK)
Using 1D or 3D textures
Using texture borders

Oh well.

Cheers

Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK
--
Special Relativity: The person in the other queue thinks yours is
moving faster.