Re: problems with "KDE CD-R(W) Watcher Monitors CD-R(W) Drives Media"

On Dienstag, 21. Januar 2003 19:34, TP Muller wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> this is just in case someone has the same problem I had. I am not sure if
> something needs to be done about it or not, ie. if it's a bug or not.
>

> I have a problem with the KDE start-up service
>    "KDE CD-R(W) Watcher Monitors CD-R(W) Drives Media"

I guess you have k3b installed ? This isn't on my system so it might be from
k3b most likely. Please check if you have that installed. If the problem
disappears by uninstalling it, please notify Sebastian Trueg who is the
author of k3b.

Ralf

> I am using Ralf's latest .deb packages.
>
> This service is running by default, and if it does, it causes the kernel to
> print the following message into the syslog and the kernel ring buffer, at
> a speed of around 100 lines per minute.
>
> kernel: cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!
>
> I have an scsi DVD drive and an scsi cd writer which never caused problems
> before. I am not sure which of the discs the message refers to.
>
> Whatever is causing these messages to be printed also seems to interfere
> adversely with cd-burning: sometimes the CD can't be fixated and cdrecord
> just loops (using X-CD Roast), something which I have never observed before
> upgrading to KDE 3.1. I can kill cdrecord then, but the scsi cd writer just
> disappeares from the scsi bus then and I have to restart my computer to get
> it to be recognised again (also something which I never had to do before,
> and I had it for more than 2 years now).
>
> Stopping the service in Settings -> Control Center -> KDE Components ->
> Service Manager -> Startup Services   seems to get rid of the problem.
>

> Cheers
> -Tim

- --
Ralf Nolden