Re: Understanding Font Paths

On Wednesday 01 January 2003 16:31, Alan Chandler wrote:
> I am running kde under debian unstable and something weird has
> suddenly happened to the fonts in konsole.
>
> Before starting, I should state that I "think" I am running the
> Xserver without an additional font server (ie neither xfs or xfs-xtt,
> not xfstt), as I can't quite understand why I should need it .  I
> presume that the libfreetype module loaded by the x-server should
> suffice.[So if someone can explain why ought to use pne of the above
> font servers I would be interested to listen]
>
> Anyway, I have started to look at the various packages and config
> files that seem to be in use and as far as I can see, I have at least
> four copies of some x fonts (particularly the truetype ones) stored
> on my system
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts (with /usr/lib/X11/fonts via symlink)
> /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs
> /var/lib/defoma/gs.d/dirs/fonts (not sure this is not just
> ghostscript - but there are truetype fonts in this directory)
> and
> /usr/share/fonts.
>

> Why the separate places, and which one is correct.
>
> My /etc/X11/XFConfig-4 has the following in it
>
> Section "Files"
>   FontPath      "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
>   FontPath      "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
>   FontPath      "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
>   FontPath      "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
>   FontPath      "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
>   FontPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
>   FontPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType"
>   FontPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
>   FontPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
>   FontPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
>         # if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on
> these EndSection

Is that what debconf generates for you? Here's what I get:

Section "Files"
    FontPath        "unix/:7100" # local font server
    # if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
    FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
    FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
    FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
    FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
    FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
    FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
EndSection

I don't have xfs or xfs-xtt installed, but I think XF86 with the
freetype extension acts as a font server itself.

> Since this part of the the file is controlled by debconf - why has it
> not added the /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs lines into
> XFConfig-4.

I remember having defoma paths as the first entries for FontPath, too.
Well, no longer. Must have changed somewhere along the line.

BUT, as far as I can tell, I have all of my installed fonts available.
In fact, some of them multiple times differing only by a suffix such as
"Urw Palladio [Urw]" or " Urw Palladio [Xft]".

> Now in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf there is a list of directories that
> includes /usr/share/fonts but NOT
> /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs

/etc/fonts belongs to fontconfig, which is apparently not required to
make the fonts available. I only installed it a few days ago and didn't
notice any font-related change (using KDE 3.0.4). Does fc-list from the
fontconfig package display all the fonts that you think it should?

Doing some cargo-cult configuration, I'd recommend adding a font path
for the local font server:
    FontPath        "unix/:7100" # local font server

> I am very confused - could do with some enlightenment.

Some enlightenment would do me good, too.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig                  If at first you don't succeed...
mailto:schuerig@acm.org           try, try again.