KDE multihead problems

I'm using Debian unstable and Karolina's KDE 3.1rc2 packages on several
machines now.  It works great on all but the dual-head machine I have at
home.  On the dual-head box kicker only appears on the first screen,
most apps either will not launch or have serious problems (for example,
the config wizard that comes up the first time you enter KDE shows an
empty gray window with no widgets or text in it) and everything
else is unresponsive.  Kicker, kdm, the menubar - none of these respond
to mouse clicks.  I can't even Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill off X.

If I comment out "Xinerama" in my XF86Config-4 KDE starts just fine.

All the KDE processes have the environment variable KDE_MULTIHEAD=false.

Could this be some compilation problem with the KDE packages?  I've
noticed that whenever I build KDE apps now they tend to autodetect
Xinerama in the ./configure, and it's usually not detected...

--
Mike Shuey